The Amazon is a mid-size car manufactured by Volvo Cars from 1956-1970 and introduced in the US as the 122S at the New York International Auto Show in April 1959.
The Volvo Amazon shared the wheelbase, the PV, as well as its tall posture and high H-point seating from its predecessor, offering 3 model configurations: two-door sedan, four-door sedan and wagon. In 1959 Volvo provided front seatbelts as standard equipment on all their vehicles including the export models. When introduced the car was called the "Amason", but German motorcycle manufacturer Kreidler had already registered the name. Eventually the 2 companies agreed Volvo could only use the name domestically, modifying the spelling to Amazon. Subsequently, Volvo began its tri-digit nomenclature and the line became known as the 120 Series.
Buying a Volvo Amazon?
The Amazon was originally manufactured at Volvo's Lundby plant in Gothenburg and subsequently at Torslandaverken. By the end of the production, 667.791 Volvo Amazon cars had been produced: 234.653 4-door models, 359.917 2-door models and 73.220 station wagons.
E & R Classics, your Volvo Classic Car specialist!
What are the advantages of buying a Volvo Amazon car at ER Classics?
- A great assortment of classic cars for sale
- All cars are carefully checked by the mechanics in our own workshop
- MOT, welding and interior proceedings for your Volvo Amazon car
- Our specialised oldtimer mechanics can take care of all proceedings
- We can take care of repairs, maintenance as well as customised needs
- Complete restauration of your Volvo Amazon car
- We can deliver your classic car to any European country